Category: Unit 1: Final Works / Practice-based Research

Signals – Computer based Environment.

These stills are from the most recent and most successful version of “Signals”. This is a browser-based version, with mouse interaction made in Javascript using Three.js. I will incorporate the interactive version on the website I hope to release before the end of the year. Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 03.45.10

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 03.45.03

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 03.45.02

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 03.44.58

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 03.44.54

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 03.44.53

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 03.44.51

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 03.44.50

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 03.44.47

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 03.44.40

15102015 Task Systems Showcase

Last Thursday, I showed some new work at an event for Task Systems and Pantone. The theme was Colour in Design, which gave me a starting point outside my comfort zone.

Here are some images:

Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 13.11.36 Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 23.16.19

These are some pretty terrible photos of the display, however I’m waiting for the photographer to get back to me with the high-res ones.

This gives an idea of the layout.

The projection below was a reactive installation using javascript and leap motion. Moving on from my work “Mixed Signals”. The Leap allows the audience to move through the space. Again, it aims to visualise the Behind the Screen of internet traffic, though of course this is still only an abstract visualisation, and doesn’t yet represent any actual live data.

IMG_2068

IMG_2069

IMG_2070

Mixed Signals 29092015

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 07.43.34

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 07.43.35

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 07.43.44

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 07.43.46

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 07.43.58

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 07.44.03

This is clearly very similar to some of the work I’ve been doing this year, visualising online connections. It also highly contradicts what I wrote at the beginning of the term, but I couldn’t help myself. I’m looking into including Twitter’s open source APIs to integrate live feed information based on conflict. Its an ongoing struggle, especially as I get to terms with learning to code…..

However, these are stills from an interactive, Javascript model of the work. The next step will be to use the Leap Motion to interact with the programme. I’m looking to exhibit some prints in an exhibition this month. I’m thinking I may use the format from the first two, as there is almost a sense of conflict between the two sides. Ultimately though, I’d like to project it, and give the viewer some sort of interaction, whether its a mouse or a leap motion etc.. I still haven’t successfully integrated my figurative and architectural work with these systems, however I thought I’d display this version. Again, this isn’t I hoped, I want to move more towards meaningful displays of information, however this is proving harder than I thought… nonetheless I still feel a sense of progress from previous versions of the work.

Emission – Reactive Installation – TRIBE15

Over the summer I purchased a Leap Motion. Within days I was excited about its possibilities and began to play around with it in Processing. The concept for this installation was simple. The Leap Motion as a piece of consumer technology essentially gives the user the ability to interact with the computer in thin air, a sort of realistic attempt at George Lucas’s ‘The Force’… but instead only replacing the use of your mouse. Its a powerful, and very exciting bit of kit. I realised quickly that it would give me the opportunity to create an effect I’d hoped of for a while… for the viewer to customise the artwork to their preference (within set parameters obviously…. so not quite the ultimate customisation i dream of.. but a step in the right direction )…

The simple concept is that those using social media emit identities and have the ability to customise it.

First Attempt, as it appeared on the laptop screen:

In the Gallery:

15062015 – TEST Device Signals Clip.

WARNING TO THOSE WITH PHOTOSENSITIVE EPILEPSY

This clip is a test looking at a potential virtual environment. Its leads on from work i did earlier this year looking at manifestations of device signals and information traffic. Supersymmetry certainly struck a chord with me, and its probably evident. I’ve hit a few walls in texturising each line with different pieces of media, yet this is still an ongoing process and I aim to include it eventually.

Similar to Mixed Signals and Somewhere Beyond the .com these lines began as drawings, and have gone through a number of programs to give this result. My next step would be to add realistic figures to this environment.

SOUND!! This will be composed and recorded in the coming weeks. Being someone very interested in music and SFX, I will look to incorporate them. I tried today, but it appears my 5 year old laptop is losing its edge. I’ll try again on the uni computers soon!

My ultrasonic circuit is looking like its not going to be ready for the interim, so I’m considering going down this avenue for the show.