Gateway Build 21 – 25062016

I started to build the door in late February / Early March but quickly realised a significant issue…. How was I going to get it into the exhibition space.. It was becoming too heavy to pick up and I hadn’t extended the legs.. I held off from building it until I had a plan.

After speaking with Jonathan and others about the possibilities, it seemed I was making a bigger issue out of it that it turned out to be. What was needed was some ruthless determination and hard graft. I took the whole door down for my open studios. It had been standing incomplete for almost 4 months! The best outcome of this was testing its ability to stand freely. Or at least that’s a good way of finding reason from inactivity.

I managed to get everything transported to Wilson Road on the 21st June. Luckily the BAs didn’t end up using the basement space, so I was free to work in there. I was working quickly, but not too quickly as to rush it. I’ve been slightly anxious about whether or not it would work. I still need to get on with it tomorrow, potentially to install a fake wall and screw brackets into the door to ensure its straight and doesn’t fall on any of the visitors!

(That’s another health and safety issue to add to the list. Fear of being electrocuted, crushed, suffering motion sickness and / or an epileptic fit…. Hopefully someone likes the work (and none of the above happen):(

BUT overall I’m happy with the outcome as I successfully turned a fireplace into a door.

Below are some photos of the build.











Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s